While additional details about membership classes can be found within the actual Membership Application, an overview is provided here. It is important to determine which category you or your organization would fit so that you can correctly complete the Membership Application.
Please note: these categories are have been slightly revised. If you are a renewing member, check carefully to see which category best describes you or your organization.
Community Development Organization (CDO): A CDO working in Detroit is an organization with these characteristics:
- A place based non-profit, tax-exempt organization formed through local leadership;
- Dedicated to a specific target area that is publicly known and not city-wide;
- Governed primarily by the constituents served by the CDO;
- Engaged in certain baseline activities (either directly or through collaboration and facilitation with other local organizations).
- CDOs are voting members.
- Membership Fee: $100
Neighborhood Improvement Organization (NIO): NIOs that support and/or partner with CDO’s to improve the quality of life for residents and neighborhoods in the City of Detroit that do not meet the qualifications of a CDO. Examples of qualified ONIOs are included as part of the Membership Application.
- NIOs are voting members.
- Membership Fee: $100
Community Groups: Neighborhood-based organizations in Detroit. They are not formal 501c3 non-profits, are volunteer driven, and have little or no funding or paid staff. Examples of such organizations are Block Clubs, Neighborhood Associations, and School-based Organizations.
- Community Groups are voting members.
- Membership Fee: $25
Individual: Persons involved in and committed to the goals of community-based economic development.
- Individual members are non-voting members.
- Membership Fee: $50 (If you are a Board Member of a voting member category listed above, or a qualified low-income individual, the cost is reduced ($10))
Other Partners: Entities such as for-profit companies, statewide organizations, or governmental bodies who are involved in and committed to the goals of community-based development; entities that either share our vision or partner with our Members.
- Partners are non-voting members.
- Membership Fee: $250 for entities with budgets under $1 million; $500 for entities with budgets over $1 million.