Detroit 67: Looking Back to Move Forward Placemaking Grant
This project is made possible by the generous support of PNC Foundation.
Placemaking is a collaborative process of people coming together to create the great public spaces at the heart of their community.
Detroit 67: Looking Back to Move Forward is a multi-year community engagement project of the Detroit Historical Society that brings together diverse voices and communities around the effects of an historic crisis to find their place in the present and inspire the future.
Today, we have an unparalleled opportunity for Detroit, the region and beyond. With the 50 year commemoration of the tumultuous summer of 1967 coming in 2017, our community can either let this important moment in history pass – and just be an unpleasant and troubling reminder – or we can use it as a catalyst to engage, reflect and provide opportunities to take the collective action that can help move our community forward.
The Detroit 67 Project and its centerpiece, the Detroit 67 Exhibition, will cover a period of 150 years. We will look back 100 years – from 1917 to today and forward 50 years to 2067 and use an understanding of our collective history to inform and define our future. Those who engage with Detroit 67 will be able to better understand the events leading up to July, 1967, where we are today, and connect to efforts that are moving Detroit forward.
Applications close on December 1, 2016. One grant will be given in each City Council district. Each grant will be for $7000.00.
- December 1, 2016 applications due
- December 2-December 16 grant review process
- January 2017 – Successful applicants notified; site visits with CDAD staff
- February – July – projects implemented/funds spent
What we are looking for:
- One grant in each of the seven city council districts
- Up to $7000.00 per project
- Have to have site control/permission to use the space
- Strong community engagement
- Must be able to tell us how your project relates to the theme of “looking back to look forward
- Applicant must be a 501(c)3 or have one as their fiduciary
- Be clear with how the money will be used (especially if your project budget is over $7000)